Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Prepositions in Kannada - Part I

A preposition helps to show the noun's relation to other words in the sentence. In this post we shall see some of the prepositions in Kannada and their day to day usage.

1. Since -> inda


I stay in Bangalore since 2001.  --> Naanu bengalurudalli 2001 inda iddiini.


2. Near -> hathira


My son's school is near to my house. --> Nanna maganna shaale nanna maneya hattira ide.


3.Than -> kintha


This work is better than that work. --> Ii  kelasa Aa kelasakinta olleyadhu.


4.Except -> bittu


I did everything except washing clothes --> Naanu batte tholeyuvudhu bittu bere ella kelesa maadidde.


5.On / Up / Over -> mele


Please keep the cup on the table. --> Dayavittu meji mele cuppannu haaku.


The monkey climbed up the tree. --> Kothi marada mele hattittu.


The bird flew over the house. --> Hakki maneya mele haarittu.



6.Last -> hoda

Last week plumber came to our house. --> Hoda vaara plumber namma manege bandanu.


7.When / by the time / during -> aaga


I was sleeping when my husband came home. --> Nanna gandana bandaaga naanu malgutaidde.


I had slept by the time when my husband came from office. --> Nanna ganda officeinda bandaaga naanu malagidde.


8.Usually -> maamulaagi


Usually I eat bread,butter and jam for breakfast. --> Naanu maamulaagi beLige ootakke bread , benne mattu jam tinnuthene.


9. But -> Adhare


But I had idly and chutney yesterday. --> Adhare nenne idly mattu chutney tinde.


10. With -> Jothe


Will you come with me ?. -> Neenu nanna jothe baruthiya ?


11. Around -> Suttha


A squirrel can go around the tree. -> ALilu marada suttha hoga bahudu.


12. Behind -> Hinde


A squirrel can go behind the tree. -> ALilu marada hinde hoga bahudu.


13. Towards -> Kade


The hunter aimed towards the sparrow. -> Bettaikaara gubbatti kade guri itta.


14. Under -> Kelage


The book was under the chair. -> Pustaka kurichiya kelage ittu.


 








Please refer to the below link for interrogatives in Kannada

http://learnkannadawithme.blogspot.com/2013/08/Asking-Questions-in-Kannada-Where-When-Who-Why-What-How.html

Please refer to the below link for Tenses in Kannada
http://learnkannadawithme.blogspot.com/2013/08/past-tense-with-root-verb-hogu-go.html

7 comments:

  1. Very good ! Enjoyed reading it and revising mentally.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first sentence " I STAY IN BANGALORE." "in Bangalore" denotes " bangaloredalli " . Then what about " INDA". can you pls explain in brief? thanks in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous. Thanks for bringing this up. I have corrected it . Here 'inda' actually means since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete